Rules & Etiquette
- Bow each time you enter and leave USA Karate and the training area (tatami).
- Arrive ten minutes before class. If you think you’re going to be more than ten minutes late, please skip class for the day.
- When you are late for class, sit seiza at the entrance to the training area.
- Please remove your shoes before entering the USA Karate training floor.
- If you need to step out for any reason, put your shoes on again so that we can all enjoy a clean and healthy environment.
- No food is allowed in USA Karate.
- Please maintain personal hygiene at all times.
- Please refrain from using foot lotions or oils before entering USA Karate.
- Please make sure your ﬁngernails and toenails are trimmed.
- Do not store any valuables in the changing rooms.
- Remove all jewelry—necklaces, earrings, rings, etc.—before entering the training area.
- Ladies must wear the ofﬁcial white USA Karate t-shirt under your gi at all times.
- Always get permission from the Sensei before leaving the training area.
- Please keep your cell phone on silent while at USA Karate. If you really need to take a call, kindly step outside.
- If you bring small children to watch class, see that they are well-behaved and occupied. Make sure that your children are supervised at all times while at USA Karate.
- Bow to all known Black Belts when you enter and leave USA Karate, whether they are wearing their belts or not; you will appreciate this when you are a black belt.
- Please always bring your protective equipment to class.
- If there are fewer than ﬁve people in class, there may be open training.
Every day is a test, so please don’t ask the Sensei to give you one. When the Sensei thinks you’re ready to advance to the next level, you will be awarded the corresponding level belt.
For adult classes we use pyramid-structured schedule in which certain techniques are only practiced in certain classes. That said, you are obligated to take lower layer-classes to assure that you are working from a solid foundation.